Cowes Harbour Commission
Harbour Authority and Marine Services Provider
Cowes Harbour Commission (CHC) is constituted under the Cowes Harbour Act and Orders 1897-2012. It is the statutory harbour authority for Cowes Harbour and the River Medina. Cowes Harbour is a Trust Port, designated and recognised by the Department for Transport (DfT). As such, it is an independent statutory body, run by an independent board for the benefit of stakeholders. CHC is committed to operating within government guidelines as set by the DfT and published in the Ports Good Governance Guidance.
CHC’s primary statutory duties are to maintain an ‘Open Port Policy’ for freedom of navigation and public use whilst at the same time regulating and enforcing the safety of navigation within the port. We are also required to conserve the harbour so that it is fit for use as a port. To achieve this, CHC has a sustainable development plan for the harbour and works in partnership with other relevant organisations to deliver the plan.
The DfT requires CHC to be self-financing and to operate as a commercial business, seeking to generate a surplus that can then be reinvested back into the harbour and its facilities or directed towards the interests of harbour stakeholders.
To ensure the views of our stakeholders are properly taken into account we consult a Harbour Advisory Committee, comprised of representatives of our key stakeholder groups, such as yacht clubs, local business leaders and representatives of both Town and County Councils.
- Harbour and river moorings: annual licenced moorings; visitor and event moorings.
- Shepards Marina: visitor and residential marina; dayboat sailing centre; dry sailing facilities; Events Centre; independent marine businesses.
- Sugar Store Events Centre: waterfront venue at Shepards Marina; capacity: 400 standing / 200 seated; main hall, bar, stage, preparation room, training room.
- Cowes Harbour Services Boatyard: extensive yard facilities; 40t boat hoist; independent marine trades.
- Cowes Harbour Storage: secure self-storage units for rental at the Boatyard.
- Commercial marine services: Harbour maintenance; commercial marine contract service provider; commercial units for lease.
Cowes Business Association Offer
10% discount on first three months of self-storage for new customers on production of proof of CBA membership at Cowes Harbour Storage. Subject to availability, Terms & Conditions apply. Contact Cowes Harbour Storage for full details.